Interesting facts on Hair Transplant Procedure

Interesting facts on Hair Transplant Procedure

Androgenetic alopecia (baldness) is a very widespread phenomenon. It concerns 30% of white men at the age of 30 and 50% of white men at the age of 50 years. A recent research (2010) conducted by Harokopio University raises the percentage of Greek men who suffer from some degree of alopecia in 38% of the population between the ages of 35 to 40 years.

The problem of hair loss concerns men worldwide since prehistoric times. Apart from humans hair loss has been observed at higher primates (e.g. gorilla) and has a genetic predisposition. It also affects, to a lesser degree, women with hereditary predisposition. The loss of hair over time and in all cultures, was and still is, a matter of serious concern and of psychological problems for people who are suffering from it.

The ancient Greeks described the heroes and warriors having abundant hair while baldness was considered a sign of old age and wisdom. Hair transplant surgery is currently the most popular cosmetic procedure among men in the Western world.

According to the latest figures from ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery), in 2010 was observed a universal increase in hair transplant surgery by 11% compared with 2008, amid economic crisis. People who are suffering from androgenetic alopecia (baldness) show an increasing interest worldwide to deal with their problem in a permanent and natural way, since hair transplant is no longer a taboo. Some interesting statistical data about hair transplant are mentioned below:

  • Worldwide are conducted annually around 300.000 hair transplant procedures.
  • The annual increase in hair transplant surgery is estimated at about 20%.
  • About 87% of the total sum of hair transplant surgery concerns men, while the rest 13% concerns women.

The role of the Dermatologist and Plastic surgeon in the diagnosis and treatment of androgenetic alopecia (baldness) with hair transplant surgery is highly important, since researches show that patients undergoing hair transplant initially consult with the dermatologist or plastic surgeon at a rate over 50%.

Free Consultation

Make an appointment now at ADVANCED HAIR CLINICS and find the answer to your questions about FUE Hair Transplantation

I'm interested!